Defending Champions India finally released their 15 man Squad for upcoming ICC Champions Trophy 2017 which is going to be held in England and Wales, the initial delay in the announcement was made because of the disagreement in the revenue sharing of BCCI with ICC. At one time even the Question “will India play champions trophy ?” was asked. But Finally, indian team selection for champions trophy 2017 was announced.
Though India has missed the announcement deadline which was April 25, finally India, has released champion trophy 2017 India squad.
Rohit Sharma and Mohammed Shami were given place in the champions trophy Indian team selection while KL Rahul was missed out due to fatal injury. Spinner Amit Mishra was dropped while Rishabh pant, Suresh Raina, Kuldeep Jadhav, Shardul Thakur and Dinesh Karthik would be the standby players for ICC Champions Trophy 2017 tournament and will be trained at National Cricket Academy (NCA).
These players would be issued with Visa and their practice will start at National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru for Indian team for Champion trophy.
MSK Prasad who is chairman of the selection committee, said, “India, the defending champions of ICC Champions Trophy 2013, are in Group B along with Pakistan, South Africa and Sri Lanka.”
The Virat Kohli captained team will begin the campaign with their first match against Pakistan on June 4 at Edgbaston, and they will also face Sri Lanka on June 8, South Africa on June 11 and then the leading two teams from each group will qualify for the semi-finals of the ICC Champions Trophy 2017.
As we all know Champions Trophy 2017 would be contested by the top 8 team ICC champion trophy 2017 squad as per the ODI team rankings for September 30, 2015.
Here is the India team for champion trophy.
- Virat Kohli: This is going to be Virat Kohli’s first ever ICC event as a senior captain. He has captained under 19 team to the world cup in 2008 and had also won it.
- Rohit Sharma: This will be a comeback for right-handed batsman Rohit Sharma who was missed at the recent season due to a fatal injury. He is going to be the opening batsman of team India.
- Ajinkya Rahane: Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma most probably are going to open top of the order. India will miss the service of KL Rahul as he is out of the team due to injury.
- Shikhar Dhawan: The left-handed batsman Shikhar Dhawan who has open for India on numerous occasions would be seen as a backup opener in Champions Trophy. He has not played well against England but is given a chance due to his good performance in the ongoing IPL 2017.
- Kedar Jadhav: Kedar Jadhav has not been playing as expected in the ongoing IPL 2017 for his team Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB). But still, somehow he has managed to perform well in the previous 50 over format.
- Yuvraj Singh: Yuvraj Singh is a known all rounder he is also a left-hand batsman and had led India to win on numerous occasions. Yuvraj Singh has got another chance to add something for his team in the ICC trophy. This could be Yuvraj Singh last Champions Trophy.
- Manish Pandey: Manish Pandey is in a terrific form he has been playing well in the whole IPL season. The Karnataka right handed would look to give his best in England as well. Manish Pandey plays for Kolkata Knight Riders in IPL.
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni (Wicket-keeper): We all know what Dhoni can do. It was with Dhoni who lead India to win in 2013 ICC Champions Trophy. He has proved his potential on numerous occasions and is always a plus for his team. Captain or not he will make a great influence over the team. Dhoni hasn’t been playing at his best in IPL series. He never fails to play well when it’s about the country. This could be the last Champions Trophy for MS Dhoni.
- Hardik Pandya: He is one of the best all-rounders of the current time, he has done well in both Limited over cricket and international level. He has proved his form in IPL 2017 as well. Having Hardik Pandya in the team seems to be an asset for the Indian site.
- Ravindra Jadeja: He is another all-rounder of team India who has also played very well in the previous test series. India will be hoping the best out of Ravindra Jadeja in the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy 2017.
- Ravichandran Ashwin: Ashwin hasn’t been playing in IPL 2017 and is at good rest. He is India’s number 1 spinner, and India’s expectation is high on him. He might be little rusty without match practice but should get into his form real soon.
- Umesh Yadav: The right-hand Pacer has been excellent in the IPL 2017. He is expected to carry his T20 form in the ODI’s as well. We will be hoping out the best from Umesh Yadav for Indian squad for champion trophy 2017.
- Mohammed Shami: Shami has just returned from the injury and has been doing very well for his team Delhi Daredevils in the ongoing IPL series. He has been back in International Cricket for after five months. He hasn’t played any ODI since World Cup 2015.
- Bhuvneshwar Kumar: He is one of the main bowlers of India. He is proving his worth yet again in IPL 2017 for his team Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH). He is currently the leading wicket-taker in ongoing IPL 2017. Experts say that the conditions in England will suit his bowling and he could be a very dangerous bowler on the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy 2017.
- Jasprit Bumrah: Jasprit bumrah is one of the best young fast bowlers in India. Jasprit’s ability to bowl Yorkers at the end overs is always a big advantage for team India. This is going to be his first Champion’s Trophy. Bumrah deserved to be in the India’s Squad for India team for champion trophy 2017.
Do you feel the Indian cricket team squad for champions trophy 2017 could have been better, please comment below.